.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grant-Will-Rant

Monday, April 04, 2005

Mommy and Daddy and Baby make Three...

So I received some awesome news today. One of my best friends is going to be a daddy!

I first met Makoto Takigawa when I was in desperate need of a roommate back in 1996. I placed an ad at Fresno State's English Institute, hoping to attract an exchange student in need of housing. Why a foreign student? Because they always pay their rent on time; they're generally much cleaner than Americans; and their guaranteed not to stay for more than a year.

I know that sounds completely heartless, but considering the horrible roommates I'd had in the past, I was willing to trade my heart (and possibly a kidney or two) for a decent roommate. And Makoto definitely fit the bill. In fact, he turned out to be a great friend as well. Although he did stay longer than a year. :)

I remember being extremely anxious as Makoto checked out the apartment for the first time. In my head I was chanting, Please, please, please, say you'll move in. If you don't I'll be living on the street. Please, you little Japanese bastard, just say you love it! And then he turned around and spoke in the most calm voice: "It's...perfect...."

"YES!" I wanted to scream, but instead I composed myself and asked, "So...do you smoke?"

"Uh, sometimes..."

Yeah, right, I was thinking. Please! Show me a Japanese student who doesn't smoke and I'll show you an American who doesn't giggle when they fart at the table.


"Well, I smoke," I told him, taking out a cigarette.

You would think Makoto saw the face of God. The light from a thousand angels danced in his eyes at that moment. You see, Makoto was a bona fide smoker. I mean he was the human equivalent of a damn ten alarm fire. And the host family he was staying with at the time did not allow smoking inside the house--and this was before California got all Nazi about smoking.

Needless to say, the arrangement worked out great. Makoto fit in perfectly with my existing friends. That is, he liked to drink, smoke cigarettes, and play video games. And soon he met Sydney, the woman who had the ability to keep those angels forever dancing in his eyes.

Sydney and Makoto got married in 2002. And guess who married them? Yep, you got it: It was me! I joined the Universal Life Church online and became an ordained minister (yeah, like stupid Joey on Friends). Then I married them in Bass Lake, California. And now they're having a baby! Woo hoo! Guess what they're going to name it if it's a boy?

No, not likely. And that's only because Grrrrant would be too difficult for Makoto's parents to pronounce. Can you imagine: "Herro rittle Glant...."


All joking aside. Congratulations Makoto & Sydney!!

Scroll down for a picture of the old gang in the old apartment.

From left to right: Yas, Maki, Jack, Marc, Makoto, and Mr. cool!

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home