.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grant-Will-Rant

Friday, June 10, 2005

Weird But True Story #1...

I must've been in the seventh grade when my friend Robin Pountney and I decided to try to meet each other in our dreams. It was during this time that the Freddy Krueger movies were all the craze. They were hella scary, but they were also extremely cool. To be able to go to sleep and hang out with someone in your dream then wake up and compare stories! That is as long as Freddy wasn't in them.

The problem was how to do it. We decided that in order for it to work we would each have to be thinking of the same place right before we went to sleep. Then we would surely dream of that place, and if we were both dreaming of the same place then we would see each other in our dreams. What could be cooler than that?

So because we were concocting this scheme in the middle of his driveway, we decided that that would be the place we'd meet. His dad had a large blue boat with a trailer attached. On the trailer was a hand winch used for launching the boat into the water. It looked like a large spool with a crank on one end, about the size of a bowling ball. Anyway, we decided the winch would be the object we focused on that night.

We said our goodbyes and eagerly headed to our homes. It was probably the first time I wasn't told to go to bed. I was so damn excited to fall asleep that it was actually pretty difficult. I kept tossing and turning, my inner eye focused on that spool of cable attached to the back of the trailer. Sometimes my mind wandered off and I'd quickly envision the winch again. I remembered wondering if Robin had fallen asleep yet. Did he forget to think of the winch? Was he already there in his dream without me?

I woke up that morning and it took me a moment to remember mine and Robin's plan. When I did I was instantly disappointed. I hadn't dreamed of the boat or the winch. Our clever scheme turned out to be a huge failure. I don't even think I dreamed at all that night.

Here's the strange part: It must've been about two years later. I had a dream that I was over at my grandma Posey's house with all my family sitting around me. It must've been my birthday because there were all sorts of presents around me. My grandma handed me a present and you'll never guess what was inside. It was the hand winch.

I woke up that morning all weirded out. Robin hadn't been in the dream but somehow the image of the winch had stayed in my brain all that time, waiting for just the right moment to make its long-awaited appearance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home