.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grant-Will-Rant

Monday, July 24, 2006

Useless Babble...

So it's been way too hot to blog. Yeah, that's my excuse this week. But, really, the temp has been ridiculous to the umpteenth power this past week--more than 100 degrees! The hottest week since 1980 something.

The last couple of nights have been pure hell. The thermometer in my bathroom has been flashing 93 degrees. By about 3am it was down to 91. No AC in my apartment. Why? Because it doesn't get hot in Portland.

HAH! Could've fooled me!!

So right now I'm sitting in a chilly 24 hour Starbucks with my laptop on my...well, lap. Two yuppie ladies are nesting across from me pawing each other's clothing and laying out the compliments.

"Oh, sweety, you have the most adorable hand purse."

"Well, you know, I was strolling through Nordstroms and..."

Yada, yada, yada.

A couple of nerdy computer dudes are tapping away in dark corners, scanning chicks as they slip in and out with café lattes. An old man with a beret is standing in the center of the café--I think he's lost--that happens a lot here.

The other day at the video store an old woman with squinty eyes was yelling at me to show her where we kept our whole milk.

"I can't find it nowheres!"

"Ma'am, this is a video store."

"Oh, dear!"

Today an old man came looking for springs. I listened to a lengthy tale of how he pried apart a VHS tape and the springs sprung. He turned off the lights in his apartment and waved his flashlight around until he spotted them glinting from between carpet fibers (He was really proud to share this.).

"But two's lost for good," he grumbled. "Can you spare a couple springs?"

"Sure. You can find them down the milk aisle."

Wink.

3 Comments:

  • Even when you're melting, you make me laugh! I feel your pain-- I used to live in MI and had no a/c. Now I live someplace that uses so much a/c to fight the humidity that I have to bring a sweater with me when it's 100+ outside.

    BTW, did the man ever say why he prised open his videotape thingy?

    By Blogger Kate, at 6:48 PM, July 25, 2006  

  • I'm glad you asked that question. He claimed that the tape was in backwards and so he took it apart and flipped it or something. I was hardly paying attention. We get so many weirdos who just go on and on about virtually nothing. I was probably mentally rehearsing my Taco Bell order while the old guy was blabbering on.

    By Blogger Grant-Will-Rant, at 7:36 PM, July 25, 2006  

  • Ah yes. I used to do that with customers. Heck, sometimes I do it with my students, especially when they're doing that hysterical screechy thing where they go on and on... I sort of furrow my brow and nod my head and listen occasionally. I feel guilty saying that, but sometimes, there's only so much drama one person can take.

    I have pried one apart at least partially. I will credit my inquisitive scientific nature for that one. Or I'm just ridiculously destructive.

    By Blogger Kate, at 9:53 PM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home