.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grant-Will-Rant

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Scary Days Ahead...

I remember clearly the day I decided I'd had enough of retail and chose to go back to school. Although I can't recall if it was a specific incident that spurred the decision (it was probably a culmination of all the horrible episodes one experiences in retail), I do remember the fear, anxiety, and doubt that went along with the decision.

While the money wasn't too bad at Swatch, and the advancement opportunities were definitely there, I just wasn't happy in my job; and I couldn't foresee that ever changing. I owed it to myself to do something that didn't make me feel completely worthless at the end of the day.

So I chose to return to school to become a history teacher.

It was a pretty quick decision: I thought it over for a couple of weeks before giving my district manager a two months notice. Still, my final days at Swatch were a mix of enthusiasm and intense fear of the drastic change ahead. I was going back to school at thirty-two years old. And although my friends and family were all very supportive, the fear and doubt in the pit of my stomach never really let up.

Nevertheless, I decided to devote all my energy to school. I made it the priority in my life--even over writing, which was painful since writing is my ultimate love. I sat in the front of all my classes, took copious notes, never missed a class, and after four semesters I had a perfect GPA to go along with my diploma. And on graduation day, I knew it had all been worth it.

Now I'm in the final stretch: the credential program for teachers. And with the program comes a whole new sort of anxiety and fear. The prospect of coming up with unique lesson plans and executing them before a class of forty high school kids, a master teacher, and a Fresno State supervisor has turned my stomach into fiery knots. I literally wake up in the middle of the night drenched in fear. Little voices inside my head shriek: "Go back to Swatch" "Retail's not that bad" "Escape before you make a complete fool of yourself!"

But then I tune out those cowardly voices, and I tell myself: This is it--the final leg of the journey I set out on three years ago. I have to suck it up and get over my fear of failure. Even if I screw up a little, the kids will never know; and my master teacher and supervisor understand what I'm going through because they've been down this same road.

The key is to remain confident and to keep my focus. If I devote the same amount of energy that I put into my classes into my lesson plans and on my delivery then I can expect an equal amount of success.

Now if I can only figure out how to slow down my heart rate and stop my hands from trembling.

1 Comments:

  • It's okay to be nervous. Accept it! You'll be scared, but you'll also do really well. It's all a learning process and even though it's nerve-wracking having people there observing you, they're there to offer suggestions.

    Last year was my first year as a teacher/intern and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. And what people say about the first year being the hardest is totally true! This year I was at a different school, teaching two different, more advanced classes and it was still so much easier!

    Anyway, best wishes and welcome to the wonderful world of high school teaching!

    P.S. I worked retail for a while before/while I went back to school, too, and teaching is so much better. Even on your hardest day, you know that you're doing something important. Not that watches (or paper, in my case) aren't important, but it's just different.

    By Blogger Kate, at 6:40 PM, September 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home