.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grant-Will-Rant

Monday, July 03, 2006

Modern Day Slavery...

I'm all for bonding with coworkers, to a certain degree. But when it includes participating in activities that under normal circumstances I would never do, then I get all antsy and bent out of shape. It's bad enough that I'm being forced to hang out with people who are going to talk shop the entire time, but to mix that with a dull activity--well that's just unbearable.

Nevertheless, I didn't freak out or go ballistic when my boss scheduled a mandatory bowling meet-up--even though I despise the sport and the danger it poses on my troubled lower back. I showed up and modeled my best civil behavior. I mingled and cheered and taunted and teased with the best of them. But deep inside, I couldn't wait to escape.

Well now the latest obligatory excursion involves a three hour trip to eastern Oregon where the store managers in my district are planning to go river rafting. Uh, no thank you. C'mon, haven't they seen the River Wild? I don't wanna die before my book gets published!

What happened to the simple potluck dinner? What's worse: I have to pay $85 to go on this trip. I have to shell out a huge chunk of precious doe to travel somewhere, and do something, I wouldn't do if someone paid ME!

1 Comments:

  • Oh Grant, that's great! Looks like you really got tossed overboard. Don't blame you, even though I love bowling, but can't do it anymore due to my lower back. I would like to go river rafting, even though I did see River Wild, but would pay the price with my back again. Good luck on that! Miss Piggy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM, July 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home