.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Grant-Will-Rant

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Pondering the Preposterous...

I find it amusing how some gender roles persist even though they serve no practical purpose. For example, a man holding the door open for a woman. It assumes that the woman hasn't the strength to open the door for herself, though we all know that there are plenty of brawny women who could body slam and permanently cripple a good portion of the male species.

But I don't see anything wrong with that particular courtesy. As long as the man isn't grinning smugly as he holds the door, or the woman isn't feigning helplessness as she waits for the man to perform his "duty." I had a History professor who on the first day of class made it very clear that she would not tolerate men in her class who displayed such "chauvinistic" behavior.

I'm sure she saw plenty of doors slammed in her face that semester.

So here's one gender role, though more of an expectation, that I find utterly stupid. And that's for a man to stand up while peeing. Really...if you stop and think about this you're likely to laugh at how obscene and lame it is to whiz over a toilet bowl and hope your fluid hits the target. So, come on, if there's a seat, use it. Pity the poor individual who has to clean up after a man who can't aim.

There are exceptions, however--two that immediately come to mind. If it's a public restroom, by all means, stand tall and do your best William Tell. In that respect we men are very fortunate. And, of course, if you're out in the wild it's perfectly acceptable to pee in the vertical position. Especially if snow is involved; I would never turn my back on Mother Nature's very own etch-a-sketch.

But if you're in your own home, sit down and enjoy it--you'll save in the long run on toilet cleanser. And don't complain about the seat being cold--you wuss! Just think about the poor schmuck who has to wipe away your golden dribble.

8 Comments:

  • Hmm. Something I had never thought to ponder, not really needing to... never occurred to me that guys might choose to sit down. I sort of thought it was one of those manly marking-your-territory kind of things, and that sitting down would be some sign of weakness.

    The seat's not really ever that cold, unless you don't realize that some man left it up. It's cold when you fall in the water though, especially if it's the middle of the night.

    By Blogger mamashine, at 1:34 PM, January 31, 2006  

  • At home, I sit down more often than not. But who wants to sit on a public toilet if you don't have to? Women would stand and aim if they could--I know some of them hover in public restrooms to avoid contact.

    Funny tid-bit: Natalie didn't know men COULD sit for a one-zee until we lived together for a while.

    By Blogger Rooney, at 2:42 PM, January 31, 2006  

  • I'm a card carrying Feminist (okay so I don't have an actual card but if they made them, I'd have one) and I think that discouraging gentlemanly behavior is just plain silly.

    I love it when men hold the door open for me and I never assume that the person doing it thinks that I'm weak. If he did I'd be sure to kick him in the balls as I walked through. :)

    I hope that twit DID get lots of doors slammed in her face.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 PM, February 01, 2006  

  • I agree with hel. Holding the door open for a woman is not a sign of disrespect or thought of weekness, it is a courtesy. And to be honest, I hold the door open for as many men as I do women. I believe it to be a courtesy that extends gender bias.

    I am baised in one respect... I hold open every door possible for my wife--at home, out on the town, in-and-out of the car, etc. Not because I think she needs the help, but because it gives me pleasure to show her the respect she deserves as the most wonderful person in my life. It is an offering of my love for her to illustrate that she comes first in all aspects of my life.

    By Blogger Rooney, at 2:40 PM, February 01, 2006  

  • (did that make you want to puke?)

    By Blogger Rooney, at 2:41 PM, February 01, 2006  

  • Nope; I reckon them were some of the sweetest words that ever dripped from your lips. Though I did picture Natalie standing over your shoulder, arms crossed, reading the words as you typed.

    By Blogger Grant-Will-Rant, at 5:19 PM, February 01, 2006  

  • hahahahahahaha

    By Blogger Rooney, at 9:01 PM, February 01, 2006  

  • Well, it made me want to puke. That count?

    By Blogger Oliver Dale, at 8:10 AM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home